Monday 24 September 2012

Word of the Week

So I've decided to do a post every week about the "word of the week". I got this idea from another post I was writing (which you will see in the future!), because there are so many awesome words in this language of ours (and then some in others).

So my first word is:

ASTEISM - no, not atheism, asteism. An "asteism" is an "ingeniously polite insult". As a big fan of sarcasm, innuendoes, implications, inference, and clever language in general, this appeals to me!

For example (I didn't come up with this)-

"Oh, I love your dress! It does wonders for your figure."

And then, a quote I like about insults:

"The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, then it's probably deserved." - Russell Lynes

No comments:

Post a Comment