Sunday 2 September 2012

Serendipity

As you can all see, I've called my blog Sérendipité, which is the French for the English word "serendipity". It's a strange word, isn't it?

I thought I'd just quickly explain WHY I chose this odd word to be the title for my blog page...to be honest, when I chose it, I didn't really know exactly what it meant. I remember when I was little having a book about a multi-coloured loch ness monster type creature (who was actually really cute, I swear!) who was named Serendipity. Since it was a happy story (it was a NICE monster), I've always thought that "serendipity" meant happiness, of the whimsical sort. Turns out, it doesn't....

Serendipity (n.) - a talent for making fortunate discoveries by accident, or the occurrence of such
                           discoveries.

So you see, it basically it is another word for luck.
I think that's appropriate for the stage in my life that I'm in - at the moment I feel very serendipitous :)
This would be because I have an amazing experience before me, both in going to france, and in going to a wonderful university next year. Going overseas was actually a serendipity, as the opportunity just sort of materialised out of the blue.

So anyway, that's basically why I called my blog Sérendipité...
Oh and of course, I just had to put it into french, because everything sounds fancier in another language ;)


Oh, here's what the little monster looked like-


No comments:

Post a Comment