Sunday 9 September 2012

Visas...

So by now, just about everyone knows that I am going to France. In fact, I'm supposed to be leaving next week Thursday! So that leaves 10 days...

Of course, it couldn't all just work out perfectly. As I said in a previous post, it HARD to get a visa.
For starters, they don't have an office in Durban, so I had to go all the way to Joburg, just for them to tell me that, no, I don't have all my documents (of course, they don't TELL you on their website checklist that they WANT these all-important documents). I am missing one called the Attestation d'accueil - proof of where I'm going to be staying.

And, of course, this piece of paper happens to be the hardest one to get. They HAVE to have the original, posted here all the way from France. It HAS to have a stamp with it that costs 30 Euros. It HAS to be signed by the mayor. Yes, the mayor. I'm not kidding.

If you ask me, this is all absolutely ridiculous. WHY does the mayor have to sign my stupid piece of paper? Honestly, it's like an endurance test for you to prove that you actually do want to visit their country.

Anyway, I have 10 days left. The thing with visas is, they won't give you one unless you've already organised your flights and accommodation. So you set all the dates, and they don't get your visa to you on time. Murphy's law.

Right now, I'm holding thumbs that the mayor is NOT anything like our mayors in SA, and that he has signed my piece of paper. Hopefully it all works out.

If not...hmm, c'est la vie.




No comments:

Post a Comment